Summer is my favorite time of year because berries are in season! With berry season in full swing I usually end up with truckloads of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries stockpiled in my refrigerator. I just can’t resist filling my shopping cart with these beautiful sweet berries. They usually don’t last too long in my house; especially with my stepdaughter and my sweet little bunny in the house. Yes, the bunny loves summer berries too! The downside is they can turn soft and mushy quickly but that is when I get excited because I get to make my Berry Chia Seed Jam!
Berry Chia Seed Jam is one of my favorite things to make each summer. The best time to make it is when your berries are starting to over-ripen. This is a great way to use up any berries that are lingering in your refrigerator. And, most importantly, there are only a few ingredients and they are loaded with nutrients!!
Chia seeds are small but mighty. They are a good source of fiber, antioxidants, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and calcium. Did you know we absorb calcium from veggies and fruit better than we absorb calcium from dairy products? Now you do!! The berries are a great source of fiber and antioxidants and raw local honey is an immunity booster that helps with seasonal allergies. Berry Chia Seed Jam is like a cancer fighting ninja in a jar!! Try it out and let me know what you think.
Enjoy Berry Chia Seed Jam on oatmeal, mixed into chia seed pudding, on toast, or add as a dessert topping.
Berry Chia Seed Jam
- 2 cups berries chopped
- 3 tablespoons raw local honey
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Add chopped berries and raw honey to a medium saucepan and begin to cook over medium heat. Cook down until the berries start to release natural juices.
- Stir in chia seeds and bring to a low boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an air tight container, such as a mason jar.