I am a huge fan of soups. Make a big pot each week and you will have lunch for the next day or two. And, soups are very versatile. Simply modify any recipe to suit your taste preferences. I change it up each time! I love variety and the butter bean, leek, and swiss chard soup is definitely one that you can play with.
Sometimes I use kale, other times I use chickpeas, and every once in a while I add Trader Joe’s pot stickers! Either way, you cannot go wrong with the butter bean, leek, and swiss chard soup.
Soups are LOADED with nutrients. Vitamins are leached from vegetables into the liquid making broth a nutrient dense food. Think of broth as a liquid vitamin! At 25 calories per cup veggies are a great low calorie food. Besides the veggies, this soup includes butter beans, leeks, and swiss chard.
Leeks are part of the onion family but have a milder flavor as compared to onion and garlic. They are great in soup or try grilled leeks as a flavorful side dish to any lean protein. If you have never prepared leeks watch this video to ensure you wash them thoroughly.
The best way to clean leeks is soak them in water. Each layer of the leek contains dirt. Slicing the leeks and soaking in water ensures that the dirt will be removed. No one wants to grit in their soup. Simply scoop the floating leeks from the water so you do not disrupt the layer of sand on the bottom of your bowl.
Leeks contain allicin, a powerful antioxidant that is known to contain beneficial compounds that fight diseases, including stomach and colorectal cancer. Studies have found that allyl factors in leeks, may also help prevent breast, esophageal, colon, and lung cancer.
Butter beans are my absolute favorite beans. I love them because they are hearty and meaty…without the meat. They are a great source of fiber and plant based protein. I always include good sources of plant based protein in my meals because they protect from heart disease, cancer, and are low in calories. Eat ’em up!
A plant based diet is one of the most effective ways to lose weight and get healthy.
Butter beans are larger than other beans and because of this they have texture. This texture is similar to that of chicken. So, the meat eater will enjoy this bean. Butter beans are great in any dish, especially chili.
This soup serves a purpose! Each ingredient is healthy and serves a role in boosting the immune system and protecting you from illnesses such as heart disease.
Simple + healthy + delicious = fabulous! The butter bean, leek, and swiss chard soup takes about 25 minutes to prepare and makes four 2 cup servings. Enjoy!
Butter Bean, Leek, & Swiss Chard Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks white and green, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 15 ounce can Butter Beans drained
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp lemon fresh squeezed
- 2 Tbsp thyme fresh, chopped
- 10 ounce swiss chard or lacinato kale stemmed, sliced into ribbons
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley rough chop
- Heat a large stock pot and add olive oil. Once oil is heated add leeks and cook about 5-7 minutes until tender, but do not brown. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Once you begin to smell the garlic add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add lemon juice, butter beans, thyme. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add swiss chard (see note below for substitution) and cook until it begins to wilt slightly. Stir in fresh parsley and season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!