Chickpeas are a staple in my house. On any given day you will find chickpeas in my pantry because I love to add them to soups, stews, salads, or make roasted chickpeas. If you have never tried roasted chickpeas, check out this recipe to learn how to make them; you will LOVE it! Toss them on salad, top it over soups, or enjoy as an afternoon snack. Today, I am making a chickpea lettuce wrap. This is a great plant based alternative to tuna or chicken salad. Plant based foods are a great source of fiber and vitamins.
Mashed chickpeas create a texture similar to chicken and the vegetables add the perfect amount of crunch and nutrients. I like to garnish the Chickpea Lettuce Wraps with fresh cilantro and toasted slivered almonds. Serve this salad in pieces of Boston or Bibb lettuce, on sprouted grain bread, or on crackers. Enjoy this simple chickpea lettuce wrap recipe!
Chickpea Lettuce Wrap
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise vegan or regular mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1-2 tsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tsp cilantro
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 leaves bibb lettuce rinse and pat dry
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher to desired consistency. I prefer a course consistency with chunks of chickpeas rather than completely mashed.
- Stir in celery, red bell pepper, red onion, mayo, mustard.
- Add the lime juice, 1 tsp at a time, and add salt and pepper to taste. Give it a taste and adjust as needed. I like the zest and tang from lime juice so I use at least 2 teaspoons. Less is more so start with less and add a little more if need be.
- Spoon chickpea mixture into Bibb lettuce leaves and sprinkle with slivered almonds and fresh cilantro.