Okay Moms, this one is for you! This recipe is kid-tested and approved and is downright delicious! And yes, they are made from chickpeas. This recipe is super simple and so good; I am so excited to share it with you. I found this recipe a couple of years ago from Texanerin.com and I have not stopped making them since. I love to share these treats at my Nutrition Seminars to prove that healthy foods can be transformed into a sweet treat.
This recipe calls for minimal ingredients and each one serves a purpose. Chickpeas are a great source of fiber and protein, nut butter is also a great source of protein, as well as fat soluble vitamins. I like to add dark chocolate which contains zinc, a powerful antioxidant. And lastly, I add slivered almonds for texture and essential fatty acids which are great for your heart. However, if you prefer this recipe to be nut-free you can omit almonds from the recipe.
This will be a treat for the whole family to enjoy. Want to impress your friends or co-workers? Take these yummy but healthy cookies to a BBQ or to the next office party to show off your mad-healthy-baking-skills! I love these with a cup of hot tea. Enjoy!
Chickpea Nut Butter Cookies
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas rinsed and patted dry
- 3/4 cup nut butter peanut, cashew, almond, or sunflower butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate can use vegan chocolate chips
- pinch sea salt if using salt free nut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place chickpeas, nut butter, honey, baking powder, and sea salt into a blender, or food processor. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Scrape the sides of the blender/food processor and transfer mixture into a small bowl. Stir in chocolate and almonds.
- The mixture will be sticky. Wet hands and form cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a fork, slightly press down to create a cookie shape (or leave it in a ball if you prefer).
- Cook for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy! These cookies will be soft. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate.