Mediterranean Quinoa Salad The perfect side dish to any meal
Quinoa. You either love it or you don’t. I often hear quinoa described as boring, bland, or gritty. Well, I have some tips for you so you can jazz up your quinoa. Before you know it you will be telling your friends about the awesome quinoa you had. The Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is loaded with flavor and is the perfect side dish to any meal.
The first thing you need to do is rinse the quinoa. Use a fine mesh strainer to rinse the quinoa for a few minutes under cold water. To make the perfect quinoa you need to start with a good base. I like to use chicken stock or mushroom broth. Then add your favorite spices, such as cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, a bay leaf, etc.
There are no rules! For this dish I will use chicken stock, a bay leaf, oregano, and fresh garlic. Quinoa can be bland and by adding your favorite spices, herbs, garlic, onion, etc. you will create a flavorful side dish that is healthy and delicious.
The addition of cucumber, red bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes adds freshness and texture to the dish. Feta cheese and kalamata olives add a touch of salt and flavor. A squeeze of fresh lemon ties all the flavors together making the Mediterranean Quinoa Salad a perfect lunch or side dish.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked, white or multicolored quinoa is fine
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock unsalted
- 1 bayleaf
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced in half
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups English cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 Tbsp oregano dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Add chicken stock to pot. Add oregano, bay leaf, and garlic to stock. Bring to a boil.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add quinoa to chicken stock once it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes or until all liquid absorbed. Flush with fork and set aside.
- Add red onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta cheese, olive oil, and lemon juice. Gently mix together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsely