Tomatoes are one of my favorite foods. When I was a kid I used to eat tomato sandwiches all the time. I recently came across this recipe and instantly fell in love because not only does it contain tomatoes, it contains pesto! Pesto is a flavor bomb! You can make homemade pesto or purchase store bought. But, I highly suggest making it fresh. It is easy to make and fresh is always best.
The original recipe is from a food blog called Stacey Homemaker however I modified it a bit. This dish can be served as is, perhaps with a nice arugula side salad, or as a side dish. The cooked tomatoes are a great source of lycopene, quinoa and spinach are both a great source of fiber, and basil contains antioxidant rich essential oils. Pesto Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes will go great with a nice piece of swordfish or a filet. I hope you enjoy this recipe for Pesto Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes. Enjoy!
Pesto Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts or walnuts
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast if you want to make it vegan
- 6 medium tomatoes seeds and core removed
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup quinoa cooked per package instructions
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 1-2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the pesto ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut off the top of the tomatoes and scoop out the inside membranes and seeds. Set aside.
- Drizzle bottom of a baking dish with olive oil and place tomatoes into the dish. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. I like to use chicken or vegetable broth in place of water. You can also add garlic powder and salt and pepper to season the quinoa.
- Drizzle olive oil into a saute pan and add the onion. Cook for about 2 minutes and add fresh garlic. Add the spinach and saute for about 3 minutes just until spinach begins to wilt. Add the spinach, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add the pesto. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon pesto quinoa filling into each tomato.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!