Pulled Pork Lettuce Wrap
A new spin on an old classic. Skip the bun and use a crisp romaine lettuce leaf for this delicious pulled pork sandwich. Crisp pickled cucumbers provide a tang and a touch of sweetness. Avocado add a delicious creaminess to pull all the flavors together. The perfect lazy Sunday meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 hrs
Total Time10 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 1 6-7 pound pork shoulder or pork butt bone-in
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth unsalted
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 large onion peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 large red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, cut into strips
- 1/2-1 cup cilantro rough chop
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 7-8 romaine lettuce leaves rinsed
Trim off any large pieces of fat. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a skillet on medium heat. Sear pork for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Place the seared pork in a slow cooker. Pour in chicken stock and add onions and peppers around the pork. Add chopped cilantro (or any fresh herbs of your choice). Cook on LOW for 10-12 hours. You can cook on HIGH for 8 hours.
Transfer pork to a cutting board to cool. Using your hands or two forks, shred pork into bite-sized pieces. Discard the bone and any large pieces of fat. Reserve a little of the broth.
Combine shredded pork with barbecue sauce. You can add a little of the reserved liquid to coat pork evenly with the sauce.
Arrange romaine lettuce leaves on a serving dish. Scoop shredded pork and add your favorite toppings. I like pickled cucumbers, avocado, and red onion. Sliced avocados are a must!