Lentil Quinoa Chili
Lentil quinoa chili is delicious and nutritious. The best part is you will likely have left overs and it is even better the next day! I love when that happens. I top off this dish with a dollop of lime cilantro Greek yogurt. This adds a little zing and cools the heat from the chili.
- 1 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper diced
- 1-2 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup corn frozen or fresh
- 1 15 ounce can white kidney beans drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 1 cup dried red lentils rinsed
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you prefer
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro fresh, coursely chopped
- 1/2 avocado sliced
Lime Cilantro Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt plain, such as Fage or Sigi's Yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
Using a large pot, place on medium heat and add olive oil
Add onions and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, bell pepper, and jalapenos. Cook about 3-5 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
Add vegetable broth, corn, beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and smoked paprika. Allow mixture to come to a boil (adjust heat as needed) and add lentils.
Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid, and allow lentil chili to cook for 25-30 minutes.
While the chili is cooking, cook the quinoa per the instructions on the package. Usually it is one cup of quinoa to 2 cups of liquid. I like to use veggie broth. You can use water or chicken broth. If using water, season it with a little salt to flavor the quinoa. Cook per instructions and set aside while chili cooks. The quinoa and chili should finish around the same time.
For the Greek Yogurt: Simply mix the yogurt, chopped cilantro, and lime.
Scoop about 1/4-1/2 cup of quinoa into a bowl and spoon lentil chili over top. Add a dollop of lime cilantro yogurt. Enjoy!!